Friday, November 09, 2007

Let's hear it for the boy...

Department: Guest Services

I have always had good experiences with Target Guest Services, but this past week I got serviced above and beyond the typical Guest experience and I just have to share.

We were in need of a new entertainment console here in the Land of the Charming & Delightful, so I immediately went to my local Target to check out the selection. I quickly found exactly what we needed.

Now, it's no secret that I'm pregnant. Very, very pregnant, in fact. And if you've ever bought RTA furniture from Target or anywhere else you know those boxes are hea-vee. Not a job that a non-pregnant 5'4" hundred and something something pound women should even take on by herself -- though 9 months ago I probably would have tried it.

Not this time, though. No sirree bob... I hurt after carrying laundry baskets up the stairs too many times during the day, so there was no way I could lift a big TV stand box into the cart. Instead, I marched my little pregnant butt up to Guest Services, said "I would like to buy a piece of furniture and I'm wondering if I can get some help getting it in my cart and to my car."

The young girl took one look at me and said, "Oh yes... I've been there... You aren't lifting anything," then found the nearest strapping young man and sent him away with me. I didn't get an eyeroll or anything even resembling attitude. They were both just so willing to help -- even before 8:30 in the morning. He put the box in my cart, helped me maneuver it to the check out, followed me out to my car and put it in with nary a whiff of resentment. I don't know why I'm surprised by this, and I guess I'm not entirely surprised, but things like that do help restore my faith in the service industry.

In the course of my interaction with these two young people -- who were probably in their early 20s, if I had to guess -- I found out that they both have children of their own. So, here you have young parents who work at Target, which, you know, can't pay all that well, but it's probably a pretty good gig depending on your situation. And it's right after the store opened on a weekday morning. They're expecting a slow start to the day, no heavy lifting -- real or theoretical -- but here I come, looking for help, and they are nothing but happy to oblige. I wish I had their names, especially the guy who did all the real heavy lifting, but in lieu of that I'll use my soapbox here at STT to sing the praises of the Guest Services people at the new Target in Chicago on Petersen Ave. Thanks for living up to your department's name and giving this Guest such great Service!





6 Comments:


  • As an avid Target shopper, I just love your blog! When I have bought furniture at Target in the past, I've found them to be very helpful in bringing the boxes to the front and helping to load them into the car.


    By Blogger Fashion Trend Guide, on Wednesday, November 14, 2007  



  • I've purchased plenty of furniture from Target and have always found assistance to help me load the item onto a flat bed and lift it into my car. My experiences have been the same: no attitude from those who have helped me. I've even had to return a big-box item and went into the store to get help to bring it back in...no attitude then, either. These experiences have occurred at multiple different Target stores...only adds to my love for Target!


    By Blogger Unknown, on Thursday, November 15, 2007  



  • Oh my gosh I love this blog! The minute I had a baby I think they must have implanted a "gototarget" chip in my brain. I go at least 3 times a week and usually it's before 9am. I will go for one item and leave with $150 worth of... stuff... I will definitely be telling my friends about this one!


    By Blogger Kim, on Friday, November 16, 2007  



  • i loooove your blog! As a target "team member" i love tohear this stuff! Target is a great place to work and i always joke that they pay me just so i can come in on my day off to spend my paycheck! :-)


    By Blogger Unknown, on Monday, November 19, 2007  



  • I've been to that Target, once. :)


    By Blogger Unknown, on Sunday, December 16, 2007  



  • It should be noted that some people have good experiences with Target's service personnel, while others do not. Blogs such as yours and mine are apparently not on the "good" list. When Amy Jussel sent an inquiry to Target about one of their advertisements, she received the following response:

    "Good Morning Amy,

    "Thank you for contacting Target; unfortunately we are unable to respond to your inquiry because Target does not participate with non-traditional media outlets. This practice is in place to allow us to focus on publications that reach our core guest.

    "Once again thank you for your interest, and have a nice day."

    I don't know if Target is specifically cooperating with you, or is refusing to cooperate with your blog. If they are cooperating, then what is the secret for bloggers to get noticed by Target?


    By Blogger Ontario Emperor, on Thursday, January 17, 2008  


Post a Comment

<< Home