Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner (and no one can put that line on a tee apparently)

Department: Legal

I SO knew that this would happen someday. The studio behind Dirty Dancing (you may have heard of this movie) is all in a tizzy because a few retailers have been using the famous "Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner" line on retail merchandise such as t-shirts etc.

I wonder if Target is in trouble over this? I bought a t-shirt late this past spring from the women's section at Target that was pink and it had Patrick and Jennifer (Johnny & Baby) on the front and then the famous line on the back..... My husband makes fun of me that I have a tee with Patrick Swayze's face on it but who could resist? He is such a bad boy.

Anyway read here about the lawsuit: http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20070822/118777201900.html

What do you think- do you think retailers and designers should be able to use any line they want from a movie? Doesn't it just bring more attention the great movie that Dirty Dancing is? Doesn't it make you want to go rent it and watch it over and over again? It brings out the 10 year old in me. I was in 5th grade when it came out. My parents wouldn't let me watch it..... but I found a way- oh yes I did.
http://www.dirtydancing.com/site.php





5 Comments:


  • Funny that you mention this, because dirty dancing was on the LOVE channel the other night, continuously... like it kept playing over and over again. I wonder if it was the anniversary of the movie or something?


    By Blogger Andie, on Thursday, August 23, 2007  



  • I don't know how they can get away with that. Movie lines are everywhere -- how can any studio stop them from being used on clothes or bumper stickers or websites or anywhere?


    By Blogger Jill, on Thursday, August 23, 2007  



  • I thought I heard that someone is remaking that movie - so you'd think they'd want as much publicity as possible. Especially FREE publicity.


    By Blogger Cat, on Thursday, August 23, 2007  



  • Totally crazy.
    The funniest part is how they'll go all out to GET publicity for movies; the actors go on every single talk show known to man, just to show a clip and put their plug in.
    HERE, they get publicity without having to work for it, or spend advertising money...so they file a lawsuit?!?
    Is the lawsuit just a way to attract even *more* publicity? It just doesn't make sense to me...


    By Blogger Robin, on Thursday, August 23, 2007  



  • I think the trouble was over just using the phrase and not the clearly licensed image.


    By Blogger Rachel, on Wednesday, September 05, 2007  


Post a Comment

<< Home