Friday, July 13, 2007

Weirdness: Return Policy

Department: Returns, should be easy right?


So the blog is back. It will be a group effort.


To kick it off I have kind of a rant.


A few weeks back I thought I would be a cool mom and buy my daughter who is 3 a Barbie Fairytopia DVD. She refuses to watch it and doesn't want it at all but that is another story.

In any case- I bring home the DVD prepared to HOLD HER DOWN so that she can be exposed to new fun things and I insert the DVD into the player only to get the dreaded "DIRTY DISC" message. The disc was apparently dirty or scratched and would not play.

I bring it back to the store and the Target employee informs me that I can return it but I MUST exchange for the exact product since I had opened it. 'Who was to say that I didn't burn copies and sell them on the street?' That is what they really mean by their policy.

Now being wife to a musician I understand copyright laws and respect that yes I guess I could have burned copies of the famous Barbie Fairytopia and then tried to return it but honestly it just did not even play in my DVD player! So I went off in search of the same product, exchanged it, brought it home and tested it and this one in fact works. The toddler still refuses to watch it.

Anyone want a Barbie Fairytopia DVD? Just kidding, I will save it until she realizes the magic of Barbie. Or use it as a coaster.

Anyway here is my issue- it's not MY fault the disc did not play and what if I decided I didn't need the hassle of walking to the DVD aisle, buying a new copy, driving home and testing it just to see if it worked or if Target was putting out craptastic DVD's? I just really didn't need the hassle and would have liked a store credit so I could buy something I actually needed and trusted would work. BUT NO. that is now allowed.





8 Comments:


  • I tried to buy a $7 copy of Major League at our Target (their only copy). The cashier heard the DVD rattle and said "You don't want this one." She want adamant about the fact that it could be scratched. She called customer service over to get rid of it, after we acquiesced.


    By Blogger Stephanie, on Friday, July 13, 2007  



  • As a former agent for creative property I will not go into your comments about copyright.

    The DVD may has been scratched. In this day and age, the private citizen is rarely right about anything. There has been a change in our society over the past three or four years, or more exact, during the Bush Administration There is a new "imperial attitude" with people who "run" or "manage" things.

    I suggest you should have accepted a new DVD, waited a few days, and returned it (unopened, of course) and asked for your money back. The store policy applies to DVD's that have been opened.

    A letter to your congressman or other political leaders will be of no use, because Target is a very large corporation and can do whatever it likes. You might try a letter to your local newspaper and Better Business Bureau.

    All best,
    David Astor


    By Blogger D, on Saturday, July 14, 2007  



  • This comment has been removed by the author.


    By Blogger Unknown, on Friday, July 20, 2007  



  • I have worked at Target and I can see where you're coming trying to get a new DVD but I worked at Guest Service for two years. It's not Targets policy that we don't accept open Dvds or games for different items. It's the law. Ever watch a DVD and there is that damn FBI warning label that you can't skip? That's the fucking law we had to base our policy on. We are sick and tired of getting peoples shit just because they can't return something. Hell if you hate it that much call the fucking manufactured and bitch to them for making such a shady product according to your standards and make them replace it or give you your money back. Also screaming your lungs out will just get you kicked out. Being a bitch gets you no where and neither does attitude. Be nice to the person at Guest Service and you will get better treatment. However if you come in all hard demanding stuff we will just give you shit. Even all the managers will give you shit because before they even come to talk to you they know that you are a fucktard who is being bitchy and we will not let you have it your way. It's not Burger King it's Target.

    P.S.
    d. Listen, fuck the BBB. Bush is a good President, if he wasn't then he would not have been re-elected and by the way we open the DVD before we give it to you so you can't come back and get your money back. PEACE OUT!

    Ogdenville Target can't wait to see what you have to say!


    By Blogger Unknown, on Friday, July 20, 2007  



  • HEADS UP! Target now has a new return policy...you can only return 2 items a year without a receipt and the items have to be under $20. Yes only 2 a year!!! I found out the hard way.

    I bought some new curtains for my bedroom but the color was wrong. Really wrong. Of course I lost my receipt and had paid with cash so they couldn't look up my transaction. So I was forced to either keep the wrong color curtains or use up my alloted 2 yearly returns so I could get store credit. Bastards.


    By Blogger specialk, on Monday, October 01, 2007  



  • WOW!!

    OK, it is NOT the law that you cannot return an open DVD. Costco accepts returns of open DVD's, software and Music!!!!

    That FBI warning in the beginning of the video's you see is for YOU not to make a copy!

    Now who is the Moron????

    Returns are a common fact of life at any store in America. If customer service clerks would just keep there opiniions to themselves and do the return, everything will be for the better!


    By Blogger ROCKRon, on Friday, February 22, 2008  



  • WOW!!

    OK, it is NOT the law that you cannot return an open DVD. Costco accepts returns of open DVD's, software and Music!!!!

    That FBI warning in the beginning of the video's you see is for YOU not to make a copy!

    Now who is the Moron????

    Returns are a common fact of life at any store in America. If customer service clerks would just keep there opiniions to themselves and do the return, everything will be for the better!


    By Blogger ROCKRon, on Friday, February 22, 2008  



  • I have recently decided to never shop at Target again. Their return policy, compared to every other big box retailer is extremely rude and hostile, especially considering the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent there over the years. Also, considering the inflated prices they charge for their crappy products. It's actually a relief, because shopping there used to stress me out, just walking through the door, I knew I was about to be taken advantage of and ripped off. There isn't anything in theirs store, that I need , that I can't get at either Home Depot, Publix, CVS, Walmart, etc...I hope others will finally have enough and decide to forego stepping foot in a Target, as I have.


    By Blogger Unknown, on Wednesday, February 01, 2017  


Post a Comment

<< Home