Monday, November 06, 2006

Two Gifts to Buy, Twenty Bucks in Hand

Department: Guest Blogger

Two Gifts to Buy, Twenty Bucks in Hand... What's a Savvy Stay-at-Home Mom to Do?

You know that feeling you get when you're sitting around a kid's birthday party hosted and attended by "friends with money" and you don't want to look like a cheapskate when it comes time to open gifts?
I once again avoided that emotion (hopefully -- the truth will present itself tomorrow at Timmy's party) by buying my friend's 2-year-old a cool Doodle Pro just like this one:
At only $9.99, it's one of those great toys that's affordable but also HUGE enough to fool some people into thinking it cost more.

(Okay, so maybe this is just a little game I like to play in my own mind and everyone knows my gig is up..but hey, I don't want to sink further into debt trying to save face, right?)

Anyhoo, that left enough moola to buy a big ol' plain blue gift bag ($2.99), a little space boy birthday card (gotta love the .99 tag on some cards!), a beautiful "religious" card for my friend Erica, and a small gift for her birthday, which was yesterday:

So it wasn't this exact gift set (in fact, it was less expensive than this one...only $4.50 and sans candles --I'm really not cheap, I promise!) but I wrapped it up nicely and babysat her kids and she appreciated it all the same.
Gotta love Target to get you out of a gift bind when you need them.
Thanks for the guest blog spot,Red Cart Romance! Visit and blogroll me at http://www.paulamooney.blogspot.com/
Blessings and love, Paula





6 Comments:


  • I think this is a fun game. You could add to the challenge by including the gift bag or wrap in your $20 ;) They have some great holiday boxes this year. I'm already stocked.


    By Blogger Stephanie, on Monday, November 06, 2006  



  • Yes…the Doodle Pro turned out to be a hit yesterday. And thank the Lord Jesus for the idea to punch holes all around the top of the plain blue gift bag and tie red Christmas ornament balls in them.

    By the way, I don't know why my blog address didn't come out right, but here's what I meant to list:
    http://www.paulamooney.blogspot.com/

    Thanks again, Red Cart Romance!


    By Blogger Paris David, on Monday, November 06, 2006  



  • oh yes!! Don't we all play that game? I believe this saying "We spend money we don't have to buy things we don't need to impress people we don't like...who don't come over and get impressed"

    But at least we have Target to help us only look like we spent too much huh?


    By Blogger Melissa Perreault, on Monday, November 06, 2006  



  • cool! yeah i think kids' presents are a good place to save money. they like playing with cardboard boxes, for christ's sake!

    also, if you don't have kids yet, then parents know it's a little unbalanced so you can get let off a bit that way too.


    By Blogger Robyn, on Monday, November 06, 2006  



  • Too funny, Stickchick and Robin!

    I'm glad I'm not the only one playing the game of I-love-you-but-I-don't-want-to-go-broke-buying-fancy-gifts-I-can't-afford, especially when I'm hanging out at parties where HUGE Pottery Barn presents precede mine in the gift-giving presentation.

    Sometimes I feel like Jennifer Aniston's character in the movie Friends With Money, except the movie in my head is called Moms With Money.

    Oh well, thank God for the 20 bucks anyhow!


    By Blogger Paris David, on Tuesday, November 07, 2006  



  • Love your blog. I am also a target junkie. In fact when I lived out of the country I think I missed target more than anything. K


    By Blogger kstyle, on Tuesday, November 07, 2006  


Post a Comment

<< Home